Study in USA: A Guide For International Students
Higher studies in the USA is a dream for many Nepal students. Often looked up to as the leader of the free world, one can find numerous top-ranking universities and educational institutions in the USA that provide globally recognized degrees.
In the United States, there are four (4) types of institutions each offering varied study choices and levels of affordability to suit every student.
- State Colleges / Universities
- Private Colleges / Universities
- Community Colleges
- Institutes of Technology.
The American Education System
There are over 4,500 universities and colleges in the USA, offering 10 times the number of tertiary-level study opportunities than any other country, making it much easier to follow your career aspirations with so many options to choose from.
And if you’d like to further your studies, you can take on a Master’s Degree (2 additional years) or Doctorate (1 – 4 additional years) in an incredible number of disciplines.
How Much Does It Cost to Study in USA from Nepal ?
Studying in the USA can be expensive. With state colleges charging upwards of USD$23,000 or more per year, and private colleges averaging USD$31,000 or more for an undergraduate bachelor’s degree, managing your costs can be challenging.
If you’re after an Associate Degree, you can gain one from a public college, starting at a much more affordable USD$ 3,300 per annum.
|Total Cost to Study in USA from Nepal|
|S.No.||Education Cost||Tuition fees in USD (indicative)|
|1||English language courses||$700 to $2,000 a month|
|$20,000 to $45,000 per year|
|3||Graduate programs||$20,000 to $50,000 per year|
|4||Doctoral degree||$28,000 to $60,000 per year|
|S.No.||Accommodation costs and living costs||Expenses (approx)|
|1||a one-bedroom apartment in a built-up city||$3,500|
|2||On-campus rooms||between $5,304 and $8,161|
|3||Internet provision costs||$35-60 per month|
|4||household and monthly phone bills||around $50 per month|
|5||monthly public transport pass costs||between $50 and $60|
|6||Weekly groceries||between $20 and $70|
|7||average monthly gym membership||$58|
Student Visa Requirements to study in USA from Nepal
The student visa issued by the USA is of two categories. Category ‘F’ USA student visa is for students who attend school, college, university or other academic institutions including language program, and Category ‘M’ USA student visa for vocational and non-academic programs.
Obtaining a US student visa will require you to follow these steps as per the order.
- Register with MEIJI EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANCY and talk with an education counsellor
- Apply to institutions with our help (We have a great working relationship with every one of them)
- Take an IELTS or any other accepted English test
- Receive an i20 document
- Collect student visa document
- Fill DS 160 form & book visa interview
- Attend visa interview
- Collect your passport
The USA Student Visa Requirements:
- Apply to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, after which you will be issued a Form I-20 from the SEVP approved school.
Types of Student Visa in USA
- F-1 Student Visa for USA
F1 is the most common type of student visa for USA. If you wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an accredited college or University, you need F-1 permission. You will need an F-1 student visa for USA if your course lasts 18 hours or more for a week.
- J1 Exchange Visitor Student Visa for USA
The J1 student visa for USA is required for working professionals who wish to travel to the US on an exchange program. So the visa is named as an “Exchange Visitor Visa”. Through this visa, working professionals can apply for a ten-month vocational training course or fellowship. The educational institutions will notify the student to apply for their visas under the J1 category. Children or Spouses travelling along with J-1 Visa recipients will have to apply for a J-2 Visa.
- M-1 Vocational or Non-Academic Student Visa for USA
The M1 student visa is reserved for vocational and technical educational institutions. Though the process for applying to the M-1 and F1 student visa for USA is similar, the difference is that the M1 visas have stringent timing rules as students cannot overstay their visit.
|Student Visa USA||visa category|
|University or college||F|
|Private elementary school|
|Other academic institutions, including a language training program|
|Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution||M|
Documentation Checklist for USA Student Visa:
- Letter of admission from the institute.
- Financial supporting documents like loan approval document, if any.
- Academic certificates and test scores of TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, or LSAT.
- Two passport-sized photographs.
- Machine Readable Visa Fee which is currently at $160.
- Receipt of SEVIS fee payment, which is $200.
- Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1 Visa) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20.
USA Student Visa Application Procedure
It is mandatory that you schedule an appointment for a USA student visa interview, in the country where you live, at the U.S Embassy or Consulate. Applying as soon as possible will be beneficial, as the waiting time may vary depending on the country, visa category and season.
F and M Student Visa for USA can be issued 120 days prior to the start date for a course of study. However, you will be able to enter the country only 30 days before the start date.
How much does it cost to get a student visa for USA?
Student visa USA cost – F and M Student Visa for USA may be issued anytime as long as you are currently pursuing a course of study in a SEVP approved institution and registered in the SEVIS. You can also enter the country at any time. The overall cost to apply and receive the U.S. Student Visa will range between 500 and 600$.
- F1 Student Visa : USAUSD 160 + SEVIS fee
- M1 Student Visa : USAUSD 160 + SEVIS fee
- J1 Visa : USAUSD 160 + SEVIS fee